Lavrio, the Secret of Ancient Athens
Behind the great Ancient Greek civilization there are the mines of silver. In particular, the Lavrio silver mine was closely related with the rise and fall of the Athenian Empire (5th – 4th BC). Some of the best monuments of Athens (Parthenon, great walls of Athens, statues and most of the temples) had built with money coming from this mine.
The silver coin of Athens was a wide accepted currency in the known world. So, after visiting the Acropolis, the Museum and the Ancient Market, you must visit the Lavrio mine and the Temple of Poseidon in Sounio.
- Discover the geology of the area, the minerals and how ancient Greeks have discovered them.
- Learn about the importance of the mine and its role to ancient history of Greece.
- Learn about the ancient mines in the classical antiquity and how they operated, methods used for ore extraction and metallurgy.
- Visit ancient mining machines, tunnels, dams and various other mining structures.
- Visit the magnificent Temple of Poseidon in Sounio.
- You can collect mineral specimens. There are over 450 different minerals in Lavrio, some of them can be found only here.
- Visit an ancient quarry.
The tour is for everyone, no prior knowledge is expected. Your tour guide is very experienced and will deliver the information at the level at which you feel comfortable. You will be encouraged to find out as much as you can by asking him. We will be moving by car most of the time. Short, easy walks of 5 to 10 minutes are expected, easy terrain.
Group Size: 1-8 participants (There is a possibility for more people but you have to contact with us first).
Tour Language: English (tour in other languages is possible for groups of 10 participants or more).
The departure point will always be Athens center (most hotels are located there) but pick-ups may be possible en-route. We can also pick you up from you hotel, before 9 a.m. in order to be on time. If you wish on your return from the tour you can be dropped off at your accommodation. This is a day tour. In very hot days there will be a short stop to one of the beautiful beaches, so bring your bathing suit.
What’s included in the price: pick-up, transfer from and to the sites, escort to sites, fees for the temple visit, light meal (usually homemade sandwiches, juice, tea or coffee).
Price per person: 140 €. For 2 persons, there is a 5% discount, For 4, a 10% discount. For children under 12 the tour is free and for children from 12 to 18 there is a 50% discount.
Special prices for larger groups (contact us)
Prices do not include VAT.
Note that after making your enquiry you will be provided with instructions for the payment, terms and conditions and other information essential for the tour. Booking is finalized after a valid payment.